By Noor H. Salem, TMO
Question: Iâ€™m always snacking on potato chips and boxed snacks. Any ideas of what I can replace them with?
Answer: (This response comes from one of my blog posts)
This country lives on potato chips. Not only are they deep fried in hydrogenated oil, they are coated in sodium, unfriendly chemicals, and tons of preservatives. Basically we begin with a potato, and end with a potato stripped of its nutrients. Now potatoes are not bad for you, but itâ€™s the way itâ€™s cooked and prepared nowadays that makes it bad for you.
Either way, why not boost the typical crunchy salty snack and create an astonishing scrumptious chip? Yes, I mean it, kale chips.
Kale is a super green. Itâ€™s full of Vitamin K, Vitamin A, manganese, fiber, yes Vitamin C, and over a dozen other nutrients. If you find it difficult eating your leafy green vegetables raw, experiment with new ways of preparing them like this. Whatâ€™s not to like about this chip?
This recipe is so quick you could make it faster than running out to the supermarket at midnight when youâ€™re craving a crunchy and salty snack. Itâ€™s a quick recipe, and I promise you the children in your house will make them vanish- if you donâ€™t beat them to it. 😉
This recipe is gluten, dairy, soy, wheat, egg, hydrogenated oil, preservatives, and chemical free. Whatâ€™s not to like about this chip?
A bunch or two of fresh kale
1/3- 1/2 cup Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (you can use Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
1 teaspoon Himalayan Sea Salt or Celtic Sea Salt
To your desired amounts: dill, ground mustard, black pepper, paprika, rosemary
Cayenne pepper (optional and yummy)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Wash the Kale well after removing the stems. Allow them to dry.
3. In a separate bowl melt the Organic Coconut Oil. If youâ€™re using different oil thatâ€™s liquid at room temperature, simply measure the required amount and place it in a bowl.
4. Add the salt and spices to the bowl and mix well.
5. Toss the kale with the oil mixture well and place on a flat baking sheet.
6. Bake in the oven for 8-9 minutes until toasted from the edges and darker in color.
7. Allow to cool, remove from the baking sheet, and enjoy. =)