Whether you are on a road trip and need to grab a bite, or enjoying a meal with your friends at a gourmet restaurant, burgers generally are a menu item that can come along with plenty of unwarranted ingredients. Although there may be a scarce number of restaurants that now serve grass-fed and organic burgers, they are the exception, not rule. For that, be cautious of what you choose to order, and realize that the food you eat will eventually impact your physical and mental well-being in various ways.
For a twist from beef or lamb, try this recipe for chicken kafta patties, bursting with flavor due to the fresh garlic and onions. Atop being extremely flavorful and satisfying, these patties are loaded with natural anti-bacterial properties, anti-inflammatory properties, protein, and numerous vitamins and minerals. The tahini dressing adds a juicy touch to them, and an additional boost of vitamins and macronutrients, such as vitamin B5, B15, B3, vitamin E, calcium, methionine, and magnesium. Tahini is a paste made of ground sesame seeds, which are an incredible seed to include in your meals more often. Tahini is very high in heart health benefits, and carries unique amino acids that could enhance your health. Furthermore, it helps regulate high blood pressure level and cholesterol, while balancing your hormones as well. Add fresh garlic and lemon juice to the dressing, and you have an abundantly health dressing loaded with vitamin C, natural anti-bacterial properties, protein, and vital nutrients. Undoubtedly, this dressing is incomparable to store-bought dressings, that come along with genetically engineered oils, excessive amounts of refined salt, a myriad of unpronounceable chemicals, and health-detrimental preservatives.
Serve these patties aside organic basmati brown rice, in a sandwich, or atop a bed of leafy greens. Drizzle it with the tahini dressing to enhance the flavor and health benefits as well. These are sure to please your children and spouse alike. Enjoy!
- 1 pound of boneless chicken
- 1 small red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ bunch parsley, washed and dried
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon dill
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ cup tahini (ground sesame paste)
- 1/8 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (garnish)
- Place the chicken, onion, garlic, parsley, and spices in a food processor and pulse until well incorporated.
- Mold into round patties. Heat a skillet on medium-high, and begin cooking the patties, about 4-5 minutes on each side. [If you prefer to use oil for grilling, opt for cold-pressed avocado oil.]
- For the dressing ingredients, mix the tahini and lemon juice in a small mixing bowl. Add in remaining ingredients and stir.
- Serve with the homemade tahini dressing. These patties are delicious atop a fresh salad, aside organic basmati rice, or in a sandwich. Enjoy!
Noor H. Salem is an author, speaker, and Certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, from Michigan. Noor works with clients in better understanding their bodies and healing with natural foods through her wellness practice, Holistic Noortrition. She presents various workshops, school lectures, group coaching classes, and community lectures on the topic of holistic health. Noor recently published her book, SUNNAH SUPERFOODS, a culmination of life-changing recipes and remedies, with a foreword by Dr. Waleed Basyouni. Her book consists of prophetic hadith, modern research, and delicious recipes, and is in the process of being translated into other languages.