Last week, we discussed crucial facts I share with my clients to comprehend prior to following a gluten-free diet. As promised, here’s my mom’s mouth-watering gluten-free bread. It’s fairly easy to make at home and worth it in every bite. This bread is made with unbleached flour, which is much healthier for your body, than the bleached version. The mixture of seeds on top bursts it with omega-3 fatty acids, protein, fiber, anti-inflammatory benefits, and even calcium (thanks to the chai seeds). So, evidently, the seed mix atop is there for more than just garnish. I love tossing in the black seeds, as they are one of the many food items I cover in my book, Sunnah Superfoods. They come along with a myriad of health benefits, which include: preventing cancer, and Alzheimer’s, decreasing joint pain and inflammation in the body, weight loss and balancing blood sugar.
Try this recipe, and you’ll find it difficult to purchase bread from the market ever again.
1 cup warm water
3 teaspoons dry active yeast
1 pinch organic coconut palm sugar
4 cups organic unbleached flour or gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
1 organic pasture-raised egg
1 organic pasture-raised egg yolk
1 teaspoon Himalayan Pink Salt
1 organic pasture-raised egg, beaten
3 tablespoons organic whole sesame seeds
2 tablespoons whole black seeds
2 tablespoons organic whole flax seeds
2 tablespoons organic chia seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the warm water in a cup with the yeast and sugar. Allow it to sit for several minutes.
- Place all the dough ingredients (including water/yeast) in your food processor, and pulse until dough-like texture forms. It shouldn’t take too long.
- Transfer the dough to a glass bowl and allow to sit for 20-30 minutes, or until it rises.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg (for topping) in a small bowl. Mix all of the seeds in a separate glass bowl. Set aside.
- When the dough rises, transfer it to your loaf pans (this should make more than 2).
- Brush the top of the loaves with the beaten egg. Sprinkle with the seed mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Refrigerate any leftovers for optimum freshness.
Noor Hani Salem is an author, speaker, and Certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, from Michigan. Noor works with clients in better understanding their bodies and healing with natural foods through her wellness practice, Holistic Noortrition. She presents various workshops, school lectures, group coaching classes, and community lectures on the topic of holistic health. Noor recently published her book, SUNNAH SUPERFOODS, a culmination of life-changing recipes and remedies, with a foreword by Dr. Waleed Basyouni. Her book consists of prophetic hadith, modern research, and delicious recipes, and is in the process of being translated into other languages.