Courtesy Barak Ravid, Haaretz Correspondent, and AP
The Obama administration said late Saturday it would participate in planning a United Nations conference on racism, despite concerns the meeting will be used by Arab nations and others to criticize Israel.
The U.S. will decide later whether to participate in â€œDurban 2,â€ the second UN-sponsored World Conference Against Racism.
The State Department said it would send diplomats next week to participate in preparatory meetings for the World Conference Against Racism, which is set to be held in Geneva, Switzerland in April and which some countries including Israel have already decided to boycott.
In a statement released late Saturday, the State Department said the U.S. delegation to the planning discussions would review current direction of conference preparations and whether U.S. participation in the conference itself is warranted.
â€œThis will be the first opportunity the (Obama) administration has had to engage in the negotiations for the Durban Review, and – in line with our commitment to diplomacy – the U.S. has decided to send a delegation to engage in the negotiations on the text of the conference document,â€ the department said.
â€œThe intent of our participation is to work to try to change the direction in which the review conference is heading,â€ it said. â€œWe hope to work with other countries that want the Conference to responsibly and productively address racism around the world.â€
Officials in Jerusalem expressed concern that Israel and Barack Obamaâ€™s administration are on a collision course over the U.S. decision to participate in the conference.
The Foreign Ministry has sought to block efforts by senior U.S. officials to convince Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to alter American policy set during the Bush administration not to attend the conference, which is regarded by Israel as a forum of anti-Semitic and anti-Israeli vitriol.
Israel is boycotting the conference because a declaration equating Zionism with racism is expected to be made there. In addition, it is expected that the organizers and participants will charge that Israel is committing genocide against the Palestinians, and, like before in Durban, will make anti-Semitic statements.
The Bush administration agreed with Israel last year that the U.S. would not participate unless it received guarantees that the conference would not become a stage for anti-Semitism and one-sided criticism of Israel, as occured during the first Durban meeting in 2001.
Canada also announced that it was boycotting the conference and the Foreign Ministry has tried in recent months to convince European Union countries to also avoid participating.
The Foreign Ministry received confidential telegraphs from Israelâ€™s embassies in DC, the United Nations and Geneva, about a possible change in the policy of the new U.S. administration regarding â€œDurban 2.â€
â€œIran and Arab countries will once more take over the conference, and if the U.S. participates in â€˜Durban 2,â€™ it will be a major blow,â€ a senior Israeli diplomat told Haaretz. â€œThis will pull the rug from under us and will lead to the participation of many more countries in the conference.â€
In one of the telegrams, a number of Obama officials reportedly pressed Secretary of State Clinton to announce the U.S. would participate in the conference.
One of the leading officials pressuring Clinton on â€œDurban 2â€ is the new U.S. ambassador to the UN, Susan Rice, who was Obamaâ€™s close campaign adviser.
Rice is also pushing for the U.S. to join the UN Human Rights Council, which is based in Geneva, which was boycotted by the U.S for criticism of Israel.